Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
148 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Which specialist to consult for suspected Periodic Fever, Aphthous Stomatitis, Pharyngitis, Adenitis Syndrome (PFAPA) that s recurring in adulthood?

My name is Theodosia Wade. My son Grady has had something that sounds very similar to PFAFA since he was a senior in high school (10 years ago). He had the fever with symptoms every 7 weeks for a year or 2 then only had one or 2 episodes per year for the next 5 years or so and this year in 2013 he had an episode in Feb. Aug. Sept. Nov. and Dec. 2013. He is down with the fever for a few days and it gets up to over 103 and has been as high as 104. With a new job this is a real problem. Since he did not get the disease until he was 18 and has had it for 10 years with this last year being a bad year in terms of numbers of episodes he does not fit into the pediatric category. Is there a specialist we could see in our area? Or who works with adults with PFAFA? We live in Covington GA about 40 miles from Atlanta. Thanks for your help.
Fri, 10 Jan 2014
Report Abuse
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM,
You can definitely consult your physician to management your sons ailment.
The management can be decided only after clinical examination, relevant investigations.
Meanwhile it is important to improve the general health of your son.
A balanced diet rich in proteins and vitamins is utmost important.
In case there is any nutritional deficiency, supplements should be taken.
Strong immunity is required to fight against infections and other disease processes.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

My brother took treatment for typhoid, malaria,pulmonary TB, within 2 yrs all this happened, so he started getting acidity problem. Then had...

Recent questions on  Nutritional deficiency

doctor1 MD

I have post viral gastroparesis and the doctor said it would go away in 5 days on its own. I took ranitidine for a whole week last week and a day...

doctor1 MD

I have a small taste bud that is a little swollen. I went to the hospital and had the doctor look at it. He said it was not cancer. But I don't...

doctor1 MD

Hello Doctor, As a typical software employee, I too have hair fall issue. I have a long silky hair which is used to be good before joining in IT...

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, How much does Vit D deficiency or insufficiency has impact on Hair Loss. Does getting the Vit D levels corrected would help in hair...

doctor1 MD

My friend, Jay has a son, Jimmy, age 8, and is well-nourished so she tries to make sure that besides eating healthy that he take a daily child’s...

doctor1 MD


Iam 23 years old and had a laparotomy 3months before due to ruptured appendicitis... now iam having sudden excessive hair loss.... i have...

doctor1 MD

Hi, recently my tongue became red with a burning sensation, some spots on the side and cracked tongue. It lasted about 2 weeks, recently , I...