Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Which medicine should I take for seborrheic dermatitis over the face ?

i m suffering from seoborrheic dermatitis, the issue is very serious as it is extremely difficult to move outside as my total face is going red and extremely dry and itching. so plz suggest something which is easily available and steroid free.
Asked On : Tue, 3 Apr 2012
Answers:  4 Views:  650
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Seborrheic dermatitis if is involving scalp also then you can use shampoo having ketoconazole/ selenium sulfide.
As your face is extremely itchy and going red ,then you can use 1% metronidazole gel.
Even azelaic acid can be used for face dermatitis.
Wash your face with medicated soap like containing pyrithion zinc.
Calamine lotion will soothe the skin and itching will go off. Or calamine zinc soap can be used instead.
If flare up occurs with medicated soap then use lotrimine cream twice daily after rash abates.
Natural remedy is oil of oregano applied twice daily.
This disease is commonly aggravated by changes in humidity, changes in seasons, trauma (eg, scratching), or emotional stress. So take care of it accordingly.
If severe symptoms present consult dermatologist as without examination exact idea of disease does not come.

Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.
Answered: Tue, 3 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Tanvir Sahsi's  Response
Hi welcome to HCM,

Fisrt of al I would like to write to you that seoborrheic dermatitis is not contagious and it's not a sign of poor personal hygiene.

I would suggest you to a physician get a physical and Skin biopsy examination done to rule out other similar conditions like psoriasis, atopic dermatitis, tinea capitis.

Creams and lotions that you apply to the affected parts of the body and medicated shampoos are all mainstay of the treatment.
In very severe cases, you might be prescribed oral medications with whole-body effects. There are many products free of corticosteroids like antifungal agents, calcineurin inhibitors, and medicated shampoos.

It's important to use treatment for seoborrheic dermatitis exactly as prescribed by your physician and be sure to use the shampoos of other prescription for the full recommended duration as this allows the ingredients time to work.

Thanks and hope you a speedy recovery from this.
Answered: Tue, 3 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dermatologist Dr. Puvvula Kishore Kumar's  Response
Hi..dear ppghosh..,
Thanks for choosing HCM.,
SEBORHHIC is a common, inflammatory skin condition that causes flaky, white to yellowish scales to form on oily areas such as the scalp or inside the ear. It can occur with or without reddened skin...
it appears to run in families. Stress, fatigue, weather extremes, oily skin, infrequent shampoos ....
TREATMENT...U can treat flaking and dryness with over-the-counter dandruff or medicated shampoos. Shampoo the hair vigorously and frequently (preferably daily). Loosen scales with the fingers, scrub for at least 5 minutes, and rinse thoroughly. Active ingredients in these shampoos include salicylic acid, coal tar, zinc, resorcin,
ketoconazole, or selenium...,
Follow up this treatment and get good result..,
Recently steroid free cream like..TACROLIMUS 0.5 % will give good result..,
ok thanQ
Answered: Wed, 4 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
Answered: Wed, 4 Apr 2012
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor