Which medicine is better Janumet or Geminor for an elderly patient with diabetes?

I was having geminor 1M morning and evening one tab ,two months back it was changed to galvus met 50/500 dame dose with img of glemipride in the morning is addition with tab envas 2.5 mg once a day today instead of galvus met , i have been given janumet50/500 my question is in the overall scenario what should i do should i continue with geminor or janumet iam dabetic since 2012 and my age now is 69 years
Tue, 12 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Geminor contains Glimepiride + Metformin. Glimipride is known to cause hypoglycemia, which you need to be careful with. Janumet contains Sitagliptin and Metformin. Sitagliptin is not known to cause hypoglycemia. You can switch over to Janumet as advised by your doctor. Kindly monitor your Glycated hemoglobin (HbA1c) level after 2 months to know about the blood glucose control. If the control is good, you can continue with the medications along with balanced diet and regular exercise. If not, then you need to consult your doctor for change in medications.
Hope the information provided helps.
Best wishes.
Dr.Ashakiran.S.