Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

178 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Which is the best teeth caps to be used ?

My dentist has advised me to wear teeth caps for the teeth which was extracted last year. He told that htere various types like porcelein, gold etc. which is the best caps to be used ?
Fri, 26 Aug 2011
Report Abuse
Dentist 's  Response
If you want to replace your front teeth you can go in for ceramic bridges and if you want to replace your back teeth you can go in for metal ceramic bridges. Ceramic bridges are more esthetic and expensive. Choice is yours.
I find this answer helpful
Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Dr. Manish Gupta's  Response
Porcelain is the best material as it resembles the natural teeth and has a long life. Take care!
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
Stan clare's  Response
Capping a tooth in UK, is normally done when the tooth is originally too decayed to just apply fillings. Normally the original tooth is cut down to good bone, virtually a stump, then a false tooth made of porecelan or gold, modeled to your original tooth is cemented onto this stump. Often a temporary standard false tooth is used, while your modelled false tooth manufactured. One problem that occurs, is the temporary one comes off easily. It is afterall not stuck on too hard, since your dentist has to remove it to afix your new false tooth. The other technique is to drill out the bad tooth, attach a peg, onto which the new false tooth is sited. This later method is very expensive & requires much dental time. My sister had ALL her's done this way some years ago.
(She was wealthy then! But felt, still does feel it was a good investment)
Dentist, Endodontics Dr. Manisha Rao's  Response
Hi, you must get your lost teeth replaced. Porcelain is the best material. It looks like your natural teeth and has a long life. Take care!
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
don's  Response
teeth capping ??what is this?? this is the first time i am hearing about this ..??can u just tell me what is that ??and what is the main use of teeth capping??
  Anonymous's Response
Anonymous's  Response

You should ask your doctor itself what will best suit your needs to be done.

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

My 53 year old son has 7 gold capped teeth. I had several murcury fillings in the past , of which I experienced a unpleasant time each time when Iwpould be using a silver-plated fork or spoon into my mouth. My son has developed an incurable disease, Scleroderma. A autoimmune problem. There is little known about Scleroderma. I know I am clutching at straws. With that much gold in his mouth causes me to wonder. I know that gold does react differently than the old murcury, but I am wondering if all that gold is causing some sort of reaction to his immune system.

doctor1 MD

I had 2 front top teeht capped at a clinic. Since then the inside of my upper lip is always tender, hurts but no sores. The clinic dr said ask my gp, my gp said see a dentist. Could I be allergic to the material used for the caps as the bottom lip is fine. I m a female 73 yts old.

doctor1 MD

Since having caps put on my two front bottom teeth, I have been constantly rubbing my tongue against them since February. My dentist has ground the caps down twice, with no change in my habit . The caps never felt rough anyway. My doctor prescribed klonopin which I tried for two weeks with no help since I can t take the sedative effect during the day time. I have weaned of Zoloft to see if it was a side effect--no change. Could there be an irritated nerve underneath the caps that needs to be treated?