Which cholesterol medication is stronger, Zocor or Lipitor ?

Which cholesterol medication is stronger, Zocor or Lipitor?
Wed, 16 Dec 2009
Drug/Medication ,   ,   ,  
's  Response
Both statins both poison. Lipitor is typically prescribed in larger relative doses but since the piddly 1% benefit is not dose or cholesterol level dependent, the added strength (or dose) just adds to the side effects. In my research, the really horrific side effects, seem to occur with Lipitor. My numerous side effects really took off when I was switched to Lipitor from Zocor. Pharm dude, I never heard of a drug company proving that their drug was no better than their competitor. Seems like a waste of money. Yet CBS was able to discern an advantage. Really, CBS, is that what you call a reliable source? Even the drug companies have never proved that lowering cholesterol has a direct effect on CHD. It states that in all their advertisements. The 1% benefit is very repeatable but never tied to lowering cholesterol. The most likely mechanism of action seems to be an anti inflammatory effect. This appears to be confirmed by the latest Crestor study, where they gave Crestor to patients with normal cholesterol, but elevated C reactive protein, a marker of inflammation. It still reduced events by 1 person out of 100.. Those clever drug companies say this is proof, we should give their drugs to patients who have normal cholesterol. Of course, they stopped the study before the negative effect on the immune system could show an increase in cancer deaths. Side effects that I personally experienced= depression, memory loss, muscle pain, tendon pain in ankle, hand and hip, stomach problems, sleep problems, eye problems, extreme low energy, argumentative (seems to be permanent), low testosterone, very short term amnesia. Why do people spend up to $1500 a year for such a small chance of any benefit? Pharmacist who's life was almost ruined by Lipitor