Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

Where can i get the treatment for Alzheimer ?

dr. my father is Alzheimer patient for last 5yrs, his age is 64 yrs i am insurance advisor I do take care of my father. I want to know is there any centre in goa or in india who will take care of him.
Asked On : Thu, 10 Feb 2011
Answers:  5 Views:  145
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Neurologist 's  Response
Your father is suffering from Alzheimer disease, where a person will have memory impairment which will interfere with activity of daily living associated with behaviour/psychiatric manifestation and disturbance in sleep.He can be managed by the team work of neurologist, psychiatrist and rehabilitation therapy. Any superspeciality hospital having neurologist can treat your father.You can also seek help from Alzheimer's and Related Disorders Society of India(ARDSI) which is an organization to improve the quality of life of the people with dementia and particulary to raise awareness of the disease

24 Hours Helplines: +91 98461 98473, 98461 98786, 98461 9847 of ARDSI
Answered: Fri, 3 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Kushal Jain's  Response
Dear Abhijit, I can understand the difficulties that you must be experiencing in providing care for your father while working. There are few good institutes/centers that do take care of old age people with dementia. However the amount of money they charge is very high and beyond the scope of average middle class Indian. If you are anywhere closer to Bangalore you can take opinion from NIMHANS. In case you are close to Delhi write back to me or call me at 09312071350. Good luck.
Answered: Thu, 4 Aug 2011
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Psychiatrist Dr. B. P. Sinha's  Response
I do not want to keep you in dark. Trully speaking there is no such centre in India for middle class family to afford. Such patients require to be looked after till they die. You can do one thing, keep an affordable lady care taker to look after your father, That's all you can do. As ther is no treatment specially for 5 years old case, he must have developed complete dementia, so please do not run to unqualified doctors. NOW YOUR FATHER ONLY NEEDS YOUR SERVICE.
Answered: Thu, 4 Aug 2011
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. B. P. Sinha's  Response
Answered: Thu, 4 Aug 2011
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. AGRAWAL Ravindra's  Response
Dear Mr Sawant,

I am a psychiatrist from Goa - itself.
There are a few homes in Goa which may care for your father if he is not behaviourally disturbed.
The suggestion above about keeping a caretaker for him is excellent. Other option is to get him admitted to a private residential home for a few days/ weeks and then getting him back to live with you. This will give the family some break and time to re-charge your batteries --> caring for a person with dementia is very tough task.

feel free to get back

Dr Ravindra Agrawal
Answered: Sat, 6 Aug 2011
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor