• question-icon

What's best treatment for pain due to two bone marrow edemas?

An MRI last December found two bone marrow edemas in my back -one at first rib, junction of C7/T1 and the other mid thoracic area. What's best treatment for pain and to help it heal? would physical therapy help or worsen it? will it take up to a year?
Mon, 17 Feb 2014
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.

This is for your information that bone marrow oedema can be caused by a wide spectrum of pathological conditions such as infection, neoplasms and avascular necrosis etc. It is often recognised as a non-specific finding and is also commonly encountered following blunt injuries.

The specific management of the bone marrow oedema will depend on the causative underlying condition.

So, a detailed evaluation is necessary to arrive at a possible diagnosis of your condition.

Consult a spine surgeon and follow his advice accordingly.

Hope this information is helpful. Good day