Owl Image

What would be the normal blood pressure for a man of 75?

what would be the normal blood pressure for a man of 75
Tue, 30 Aug 2011
Hi George, There are really no "normals" for a man of 75. The top number is your diastolic pressure and it is the one that indicates how hard your heart is pumping. The bottom number is the systolic pressure and it is representative of the resting phase of your hearts pumping cycle. when the bottom number is high(over 100) that indicates that your heart is having to work harder than it should. The bottom number is the one that concerns most physicians. The text book normal for a pressure is 120-130 over 70-80. The person who gave you an answer of 190/120 has no idea what he/she is talking about.
Nephrologist Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha's  Response
Thanks for the query

According to the new classification. There is no change in what the BP should be according to age.
According to the new classification 129/79 in considered normal. 120-129/70-79 in considered pre hypertension
We are concerned about both systlic and diastolic
Have a healthy living