Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
166 Doctors are Online

What type of surgery is required for removing a growth in my leg ?

i have what looks like a bunion on my foot. I got my foot x rayed and the doctor said they came back normal. the growth is soft and doesnt feel like bone . i really want it removed but i want to know what it is and what type of surgery i need I am 18 years old. At age 3 I broke my right leg. At about age 11 I begin to develop what looked like a bunion on my right foot. I got it x rated last year and the xrays came back normal.The doctor said it was a growth on my feels soft and doesn t feel hard like bone but it does cause me a lot of pain. I was wondering if me breaking my leg may have something to do with this and what type of surgery would I need to get it removed
Asked On : Thu, 19 May 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  90
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
  User's Response
Hi Jennifer

Welcome to HealthcareMagic.

If it is not a bone and not painful , it is unlikely that it could be bunion.And the x ray is normal too .It could be a soft tissue tumor.I advise you to go ahead and opt for surgery .With local anesthesia and a simple procedure this swelling can be removed.

Take care.
Answered: Thu, 19 May 2011
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Atul Wankhede's  Response
Dear Jennifer.
You must have confused a hallux valgus with a bunion. If your great toe grows outwards causing a hump at the 1st meta tarso-phalengeal joint then its hallux valgus. if accompanied by a chronic soft tissue swelling over the hump then its bunion. Nevertheless, if the x rays r normal it means it aint either of'em. So this is very likely a malformation/benign tumour. I suggest go right ahead and take it out under local anaesthesia and dont forget to send the removed tissue for histopathology.
Good luck and remember..always follow evidence based medicine
Answered: Fri, 20 May 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor