Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

What treatment should one take for severe depression after giving birth to a girl child ?

my sister in law is mentally upset after giving birth to a second girl child she already had elder one girl child this took place during her delivery period within 2 months now 2 years have past but she is still not okay she is know trying to kill herself she has totally gone mad once she tried to jump into a well but she was stopped then she pour kerosene on herself and lit fire she got burnt 60% now she is recovering but her mental position is fully upset she is stressing more on sex life she is not caring whether it is her brother or her sister she is talking filthy words which cannot be expressed to any body please suggest me any way can she be cured or shall we let her die, she try to drink phenol or dettole
Asked On : Sun, 19 Feb 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  82
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Dear Namita

Description of problem is highly suggestive of Psychosis and is not clear what to be leveled as information is not enough. She requires anti-psychotic medication immediately as she is a safely concerns for herself and child as well as others. Consult a qualified psychiatrist and take treatment immediately as now day so many treatment options are available and she can lead a normal life like you and me. Please be careful as she is predispose to harm self or other and don't leave her alone.

Hope she will recover soon.
Answered: Tue, 10 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases Dr. Hema Yadav's  Response
Hello Namita,
Welcome to Healthcare Magic forum.
Considering the information you provided your sister in law seems to have suffered from post partum psychosis and is now likely to have depression (manic depressive illness) and schizophrenia (a psychotic disorder) .
Since she is repeatedly attempting suicide she needs urgent evaluation by a psychiatrist and possibly electroconvulsive therapy(only to be decided by her psychiatrist after assessment ) along with anti psychotic and antidepressant medications .
Please do not lose hope as there are chances that she might improve with treatment especially if she was healthy and mentally sound before this incident.
Answered: Mon, 20 Feb 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor