Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

What treatment should one take for mild facial palsy ?

Asked On : Sat, 12 Mar 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  78
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Assuming the Mild facial palsy is Bells Palsy, it can be treated with a short course of steroids for 7-10 days. Steroids reduce the recovery time. Ideally treatment should be started within 3 days of symptom onset.Antivirals like acyclovir are recommended only in severe cases as their benefit is doubtful.

If there is difficulty in closing the eyes, proper eye care including artificial tears, protective glasses during day and eye ointments and eye patch to keep eyes closed at night can be used. Usually there is good and complete recovery in mild facial palsy. Other modalities of treatment like surgical decompression and electrical stimulation needs to be considered only in severe cases.
Answered: Wed, 8 Feb 2012
I find this answer helpful
  Anonymous's Response
You can take causticum 1m 1dose once and wait for a day.Avoid taking cold drinks and cold food.exercise your facial muscles with puffing up your cheeks.If there are no signs of improvement then consult your physician immediately.

Hope this helps,
dr jignesh
Answered: Sat, 12 Mar 2011
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor