Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

What treatment should be taken for raised lump on the tongue that has reduced to small dot ?

I developed a raised lump on my tongue about 2 to 3 months ago. I had a dental appointment about a month ago and was asked how long it had been there. I said about a 6 weeks. I spoke to the dentist and he said it looked like scar tissue and asked if I had bite my tongue. I said not that I recall. He said as it was same color as my tongue it was ok but keep an eye on it. A week ago I noticed that it was white with a very small red dot in the middle. Now it is just white. It is on the top of my tongue but nearer to the left edge. It does not hurt and never did. Should I go back to the dentist or the doctor?
Asked On : Sat, 7 Apr 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  253
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dentist, Orthodontics 's  Response
Mostly U have some glossitis due to trauma. Lump suggests any reaction to physical abuse or infection. It might be a healing lump as the blood supply to the tongue is high. It is best if you observe it regularly for a while. If it increases in size or becomes painful u need to rush to a dentist. Whitish and reddish colour is common for healing mucosa in the mouth. Please do not use a tongue cleane. Just gently brush your tongue once a day.
Answered: Sat, 7 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Amit Sharma's  Response
it is important to know whether the lump gives any discharge.. it is most probable traumatic origin which u might have forgotton.. tongue is a vascular and muscular organ.. with lymphoid tissues in back/posterior part.. it heals by fibrosis formation after trauma.. if it doesnt regress in next 2-3 months u can undergo biopsy of tissue to rule out any tumor origin which can be muscular or vascular or lymphoid... keep on noticing the size of tumor and undergo regular check ups in one month interval to an oral surgeon/ oral diagnosis specialist.. good luck.. hope it recess soon..
Answered: Wed, 11 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor