Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
148 Doctors are Online

What treatment should be taken for an infant born with a small kidney ?

my child born with on small right kidney now he is 14 month old and healthy,we done mag3 test which reveals right kidney is well outlined in its normal anatomical position and small in size .fast frame dynamic study makedly shows reduced perrfusion blush over kidney followed by reduced tracer uptake by functioing cortical parenchyma,this followed by sluggish cortical clearance and moderate accumalationof the tracer in pelvicalyceal system after inj frumide complete clearance of the tracer seen the post void image show minmal tracer in renal pelvis computer genrated renogram show markedly reduced cortical uptake and clearance function kidney size is 3.2 cm left kidney is 6.1 cm and perfectly alright right kidne function is 9 % working left is 91% workinf
Asked On : Tue, 17 Apr 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  45
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Radiologist, Nuclear Medicine 's  Response
From the details provided, your child has a hypoplastic right kidney with reduced perfusion and function.
This is most likely due to developmental abnormality and nothing much can be done now.

Factors you should take care:
1. Avoid the right kidney getting obstructed or infected. (there's nothing much you can do to avoid, but just be vigilant to identify things early).
2. Get regular USG to make sure the left kidney is fine.
3. It is possible for the right kidney function to reduce further as the child grows. This is because the left kidney will grow normally while your right won't.

Most of the times, the left kidney will enlarge and take up the extra- work. Just monitor his BP and if it goes out of range, get him treated.
Answered: Tue, 17 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor