Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

What treatment should be given to my mother for depression and infuriation ?

hello i am 23 years old female. the depression symptoms in my family are very prominent. my father committed suicide about 12 years back and this has left a very bad effect on my family. my mother is the one suffering most from this problem. sometimes she starts crying and these spells go on for weeks. for about five years now she has adopted another weird habit. she gets infuriated at any small thing and would stop talking to that person. this thing has now become a permanent trait. she is 59 years old and also there was a history of domestic violence. she is reluctant to go to a psychiatrist .. please help me, help me help her
Asked On : Tue, 12 Apr 2011
Answers:  1 Views:  67
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
  User's Response

Sorry to hear about your father. But his death doesn't need to have a bad effect on you and your mother. This may sound odd, but the severity and the duration of the effects of his death are so much today only because your mother (and others in the family) have probably allowed it to affect her.

It will be a challenge to persuade your mother to consult a Psychiatrist. You may have to find out the reason. She may be worried the doctor will put her on medicines for life. But you can try giving her the option of psychotherapy. Psychotherapy ("Talk therapy") can really help her understand why she gets upset so easily. Underneath every 'sustained' emotional disturbance lies a thought which is irrational. If she can explore her irrational thoughts, she will be able to modify them into rational ones.

I suppose the option of psychotherapy can be offered to her. I hope she chooses to go for it.

Take care.

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD
Answered: Wed, 13 Apr 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor