Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

What treatment is there for mascular dystrophy ?

I have mascular dystrophy for the last 16 yearsIs there any medicine for this My name is shyam,I am from kerala,I am 27 years old man.When i was studying in my 8th class my mom noticed the difficulty to lift my hands .When we consulted the Dr they said it is a rare disease called Mascular Dystrophy and also they said there is no medicine for this.I would like to know is there any medicines available now?or any treatment?
Asked On : Mon, 7 Mar 2011
Answers:  3 Views:  95
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
  User's Response
Hi shyam, well come to HCM
Muscular dystrophy is prgressive dis order,attimes deterioration is fast and at times
gradual.For muscular dystrophy no medicine to cure or restric deterioration is awailable
only supportive treatment to adjust your physical restricion will help you with positive attitude and help from your subordinate will make your life better
good luck by
Answered: Sun, 7 Aug 2011
Pediatrician Dr. Suryakanta Baraha's  Response
hi shyam,
welcome to hcm
thanks for the query
its a hereditary muscle diseases
There is no known cure for muscular dystrophy
1- Physical therapy- it prevents contractures and maintain muscle tone,2-orthoses and corrective orthopedic will improve the quality of life in some cases.
Occupational therapy help in engaging in meaningful activities
take care
Answered: Sun, 7 Aug 2011
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician Dr. Suryakanta Baraha's  Response
hi shyam,
only medications are given for managing the symptoms and slowing the progression
like muscle relaxants for the stiff muscle and prednisolone for slowing the progression
you can add also breathing exercises like pranayam and yoga in daily life
take care

Answered: Wed, 10 Aug 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor