Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

What treatment can I take to increase my blood count ?

I am a female and my name is Esther 26yrs,height 167cm and 56kg. i m anemic and my last blood count test was at 9.8. my menstrual cycle which is normally heavy and lasts for 6 days and i have to take strong painkillers like ponstan forte.Afterwards i get joint pains from my back to my knees then ankles which is neutralised when i take calcium in any form. I have tried eating the right diet butmy blood count is still low. i have donated blood twice and unfortunately in the process i cant remember some things from my past. please advice
Asked On : Tue, 9 Aug 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  152
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Thanks for query,
You have got anemia due to chronic blood loss in menstrual period as you have got Menorrhagia.
Take treatment for excessive period.
Take good brand of Iron capsule with folic acid daily for about 3 months.
Take high nourishing food and green veges and fruits.
Ok and bye.
Answered: Tue, 9 Aug 2011
I find this answer helpful
Sports Medicine Specialist Dr. Abhay Dikshit's  Response
Hi Esther,
9.8 Hb count is indeed very low. Probably it has a deep connection with your menstrual period. Consult reputed gynecologist and treat yourself for your heavy blood loss and painful menstruation.
Despite medicines you must take nutritive diet rich in Iron and Vitamins and minerals.
You can add lot of salads which includes cucumber, carrot, tomato,and some green leafy vegetables, broccoli etc.
Also have some of the dryfruits regularly like, Almond, apricoat, fig etc. Dates are also considered rich source of Iron and calcium.
Answered: Tue, 9 Aug 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor