What to use for radial nerve palsy,wrist splint & shoulder sling?

My son has radial nerve palsy & can not extend his wrist. The emergency room gave him a basic wrist splint & shoulder sling. One person told him to wear both all the time & the other said to wear brace only. What is best for him? He starts occupational therapy In 3 days & has had this condition for 5 days with no improvement. Now has some clawing deformity & 4th & 5th digits crossing over. We do daily passive ROM & gentle massage to upper extremity.
Mon, 16 Jan 2017