Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

What to do when somebody is having fit ?

i was with my wife in a resturant, after watching a movie we came there and was having our lunch. there was one couple also little middle aged, they had put there request and were waiting for the serve, suddenly the lady started screaming asking for help, we saw that her husband was having a fit, he was moving his legs and hands vigerously, and his eyes turned up, every body came and surrounded him, nobody was knowing what to do, the floor manager came rrunning and stood there and he was also confused what to do, no doctor was available, that lady was crying for help, and suddenly one young man told to give a key to the hand of the person, it did not stop only, he kept on throwing fit, finaly he stoped and we could here him snoring and frothing. he was unconscious. what to do when somebody is having fit is it just giving a key to his hand or some thing else is there can anybody help me in this regard.
Sat, 19 Mar 2011
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Rarely epileptic patient dies due to fits, in such circumstances only his neck should be turned on one side to prevent his own secretion from mouth or any foreign body to go inside his respiratory tact. Do not press his body, legs or hands to prevent chances of breaking the bones, nothing should be given through his mouth, nothing should be inserted in his mouth. He will come out of his convulsive phase within few minutes. Must be taken to the doctor for proper treatment.
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
i want to share my personal experience with you, i had fits when i was 15 yrs, even my had fits problem. key, iron rod or any others does not work. yu need to take a CT scan, and tablets for fits. my mother use to never send me alone anywhere, as she was worried about my fits. i had fits on time on road side, i dont know wat happened, later they explained me. they moved me aside to protective place, they kept a kerchief btw the teeth, so only i didnt have tongue bite. then they gave iron rod it seems. after doing this they took me to hospital. i was fine later. so its better to know some first aid procedure
  User's Response
my boyfriend and me were travelling by train he suddenly got fits..i dint know what to do...forunately there was a doctor in our compartment.....he asked us to move away from that he gets good ventilation and told never give any key to a person on fit...we should take care that...the patient during his attack should not get traumatised by any sorrounding objects...and never irritate him..and later once he was fine..he dint remember anything..and later we went to a hospital and they have taken some CT scan ..and some blood tests ..and as all reports were fine....he was discharged..
  User's Response
my uncle used to carry one key with him always. it should be iron key not rusted than only it will stop or else it wont stop. one day he forgot to carry the key and he had a fit, it did not control and he bit his tongue. the doctors had to stitch the tongue to stop bleeding. so always carry one iron will stop the fit.
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor