What specialist doctor should be consulted for stiffness and pain in the joints?

My son s joints, knee, wrist, fingers will suddenly swell, turn red and become stiff. It is very painful.. Sometimes it will last a couple minutes and other times longer. There doesn t seem to be any in usual factor, such as always when cold, or hot, tired or middle of day. What type of specialist should I take him to?
Thu, 19 Jul 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

These symptoms of swelling, stiffness and redness may be related to any of the pediatric rheumatic diseases which are autoimmune and inflammatory conditions, if he is under the age of 16.
The most common form of these, is juvenile idiopathic arthritis.
It is very important to put the right diagnosis, for treating his condition properly.
I suggest you to take him to a rheumatologist, to perform physical examination and some blood analysis.
For pain relief he can use anti inflammatory drugs such as Ibuprofen.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.