Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

124 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What specialist doctor should be consulted for stiffness and pain in the joints?

My son s joints, knee, wrist, fingers will suddenly swell, turn red and become stiff. It is very painful.. Sometimes it will last a couple minutes and other times longer. There doesn t seem to be any in usual factor, such as always when cold, or hot, tired or middle of day. What type of specialist should I take him to?
Thu, 19 Jul 2018
Report Abuse
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

These symptoms of swelling, stiffness and redness may be related to any of the pediatric rheumatic diseases which are autoimmune and inflammatory conditions, if he is under the age of 16.
The most common form of these, is juvenile idiopathic arthritis.
It is very important to put the right diagnosis, for treating his condition properly.
I suggest you to take him to a rheumatologist, to perform physical examination and some blood analysis.
For pain relief he can use anti inflammatory drugs such as Ibuprofen.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I am a 56 year old UPS driver out of work. I cannot rotate my head all the way to the left without pain. I have been out 2 months. This is not a comp claim. I have degenerative disk disease. I have 2 places in my neck that are giving me problems. One is quite high up on my neck the other down low. Both are also riddled with arthritis as well. In addition I have stiffness in my back. The physical therapists says I have a back as stiff as a 70 year old. After 10 weeks of PT I am returning to see the specialist. The pain remains unresolved. The Doctor will almost certainly recommend Cortisone shots. He has already stated that it will need to be administered in at least 2 places. I have had a shot in my knee in 2011 and a shot in my wrist early last year. I have arthritis in virtually all of my major joints including my hands wrists etc. My concern is the potential dangers and side effects of the cortisone. From what I have read it can disrupt your immune system, week bone structure, cause skin problems etc. I had no real long term side effects the previous 2 does. But in point of fact I have a mechanical problem with my neck and cortisone will not fix it. I am otherwise in very good physical condition with the exception of acid reflex disease. I am not currently taking medication, though I do occasionally go back on. I have several concerns 1) short mid and long term side effects to multiple cortisone injections 2)by masking the pain, I am eliminating one of my bodies best warning systems to further damage to my neck and spine. 3)Short term by masking the pain am I putting myself at risk to do more damage given the physical nature of my job. I am not on workers comp, short term disability or receiving any monetary assistance. I am on my own dime here and the clock is ticking. I must either go back to work or leave UPS. I do not start collecting my pension until I am 64. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thank you

doctor1 MD

I have been having consistent joint pain, stiffness, and cracking in all of my joints for almost two months now. I have had to stop working my retain job due to the pain in every last joint of my body. My primary doctor has tested me for nearly everything. My blood tests came back negative for rheumatoid and lupus. I have noticed that my husband is experiencing similar symptoms to mine.I was also doing yoga, which I had to stop due to the pain associated with stretching. I would experience swelling, warmth and stiffness.I have been tested for Std s but the doctors have been unable to find anything. Is there anything else I should consider.Could it be bacteria or a parasite or maybe something that we have eaten?

doctor1 MD

Hello, I am a 53 year old male, 5 10 205lbs. I have a relatively physical job. Upon waking, my joints are stiff, painfully numb. It can and does affect most body joints, but mostly my arms, especially wrists and hands. If I take 2-200mg ibeprophen, I get enough relief to work the flexibility back into my joints, but mild pain and sensitivity still exists depending on the activity. What might be causing this, and what type of doctor should I see.