Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

What should my BP be ?

What should my blood pressure be for a 53 year old male who weighs 232 pounds I just had my blood pressure checked and it was 161 over 95
Asked On : Thu, 6 Jan 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  431
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Dear Donald
Welcome to healthcaremagic forum...
Any systolic blood pressure (upper reading) above 140mm of Hg and diastolic blood pressure readings (lower one) above 90mmHg are abnormal, indicating of high blood pressure... However, the readings are modified by stress, anxiety and psychological factors...
A medical doctor who is recording the blood pressure is the right person to decide if antihypertensive treatment is to be used...
Your BP values of 161 over 95 are definitely in the higher range... Discuss with your treating doctor if you will need the antihypertensive medications...
Answered: Thu, 6 Jan 2011
I find this answer helpful
Diabetologist Dr. R.Ravindranath's  Response
for a centurion(100kgs) by weight & half centurion by age like you,
BMI is important(your height is not given) calculate .it should be less than 23 at whatever your age,ht,or wt
your BP should be ideally less than 130 systolic the(the upper one)
not more than 85 (diastolic)
if you dont want to die of stroke,heart attack or sudden blindness
dont be a sitting bomb as you are
Answered: Thu, 6 Jan 2011
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor