Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

What should i do for a psychotic and bipolar patient?

my boyfriend is psychotic and bipolar. for several months he was good but not he is having a severe episode. He is really angry gets iritated VERY easily ,avoiding me , drinking too much and smoking more than ever. i really love him never ever considering leaving him as my friends tell me to do so i am just wanting to give him time to relax and overcome this episode. He is not on medications sth that i dont like much since i believe it would ease his pain but i suport him nevertheless. Is there anything more that i can do? should i try to talk to him more or just let time pass and relax him ?ty
Asked On : Fri, 11 Feb 2011
Answers:  3 Views:  250
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
  Anonymous's Response
Plz help. My sister is suffering from bipolar disorder. Her conditions are very serious. Please advise me the proper treatment and the specialist of bipolar disorder. Near Delhi,Faridabad or Rohtak.My email id is
Please HELP me out.
Answered: Tue, 19 Apr 2011
  User's Response

This can be a tricky situation. It does look like your boyfriend definitely needs medication. However, if he is not willing to accept medication, you can persuade him to go for counseling or psychotherapy. There is, of course, no standard way of persuasion. You know the situation better than anyone else.

If untreated, this condition can lead to major problems in his family and social life. You should try to communicate with him, but not try any counseling. If you are not a trained counselor, any attempts at counseling might have unwanted effects. You should let him know that you are there if he wants to share things with anyone. And his behavior may improve over a few days, but if he is diagnosed to have a Bipolar Disorder, the episodes are more likely to recur without treatment.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD
Answered: Fri, 11 Feb 2011
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. B Raghavendra's  Response

My colleague is absolutely right.....the more episodes one has, the more severe and more easier to trigger they for kindling in google along with bipolar disorder.

I would like to be blunt and say....if he does not take medication, he will NEVER be as good as he can be. All his potential will be lost.

And in psychotic phases he will not only be a risk to himself but also to others. BUT please understand that he is ultimately responsible for his actions, please don't blame yourself for this.

If you live in western world, he will probably end up being detained against his will, under the relevant mental health acts, if his condition and the risk is severe enough. I would say please don't blame yourself if that happens. That would probably be the best thing to happen to him.

Please try and find out why he is not willing to take medication. There are lot of things we can do to overcome problems like once a day dosing, once a month/fortnight injections without any tablets at all etc etc etc


Answered: Fri, 11 Feb 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor