Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

183 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What should be the treatment for abscess/cellutis in lower abdomen groin area ?

Husband has large abscess/celluitis in lower abdomen groin area he is on antibiotics , but it broke, there is a foul odor and reddish brown pus what can we do to treat it?
Tue, 3 May 2011
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
OBGYN 's  Response
It requires good wound toileting , blood counts and antibiotics after doing culture of the pus.You should visit a surgeon for that , treating big abscess at home can be dangerous.
Best wishes.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

My sister suffers from a kind of abscess at her backside, left above her coccyx. It is inflammatory and dolorous. She tried to make an incision by herself but it is not superficial enough. It is estimated 1,5x1,5cm. Today she went to see a dermatologist. He told her that he thinks it is more cystic than an abscess. he did not do an ultrasound of it. He does not want to make an incision but told her to take antibiotics (clindamycin 600mg 3 times a day). I am wondering whether this is the right form of treatment. what do you think? Julia (Germany)

doctor1 MD

I am a 75 year old lady in good health (thank you Lord), ten days ago I had a skin abcess show up on my abdomen close to my belly button after trying to fix this thing myself I asked my pharmacy Dr. to look and he said see a Dr. I did and he sent me to a dermatologist with a report that I had a skin abcess and a skin neoplasm that needed a biopsy. I saw the dermatoligist that they made the appt. with........................... I take that back I saw 2 really young ladies ( I never saw a Dr.) They never took my blood preasure . my heart rate (which was 95) when I got home. One lady numbed the neoplasm and did a biopsy (really no pain at all) ..The other person said lets numb this up and we will lance and clean out the infection. I felt the little sting from the needle and then immediately she started cutting a cross on the puss pocket. I told her it was not numb and that still really hurt she dug around for at least 5 Minutes and then stopped and said she did not get it all , then she left the room and the little lady that did the biopsy cleaned up the mess and bandaged the cut . She had to change the dressing twice before I was dismissed with NO instructions as to how to take care of this WOUND. I got home and waited for two hours before I called the office to get instructions , the secretary at the desk told me what to do. She also said if I need to, I should call in 3 or 4 days for another appt.. As if I really can t wait to go back in that door. My question is Would you go back?????????????????

doctor1 MD

I am a 48 year old Male 2 years removed from an open appendectomy and subsequent pyogenic liver abscess. My surgical incision for the appendectomy healed by second intent and my issues with the Liver abscess were resolved through drainage and long term administration of antibiotics. My only other surgery was a vasectomy approximately 10 years ago in which my only subsequent complication was a sperm granuloma that developed and resolved over a few weeks. Now to the present. Since my abdominal surgery I have developed numbness in my outer left thigh which occassionally cause a tingling / prickling sensation. I have also developed some sexual issues including difficulty getting and maintaining an erection a reduction in the volume and intensity of ejaculation, and many times, I will have a pain in my lower abdomen at the moment of ejaculation. I have noticed a decrease in sensation in my penis such that I have difficulty obtaining an erection even through masturbation. I have explored these issues with my family physician, but it is difficult to know where to head with it based upon whether I am dealing with separate issues and causes or maybe just one cause. For example, I thought that maybe the issue was nuerologic due to a compressed nerve, but an MRI failed to reveal any such problem. I thought my problem may be related to trauma to one of my abdominal nerves during surgery, but my physician seemed to think this was unlikely. I had tests done for my testosterone levels and prostate and all revealed that I was well within normal limits. I even treated on antibiotics to see if the condition might be prostatitis but it really had no impact. I am really not looking to circumvent my own doctor, but rather searching for ideas on what the best course of action, process of elimination or method of obtaining a differential diagnosis might be. Can you help?

Recent questions on  Reddish brown pus

doctor1 MD

Husband has large abscess/celluitis in lower abdomen groin area he is on antibiotics , but it broke, there is a foul odor and reddish brown pus what can we do to treat it?