Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
197 Doctors are Online

What medicines should I take for overcoming OCD and agoraphobia to avoid attacks during air travel ?

Hello doctor. Am from Mauritius and am a female of 22 years old. I have OCD and Agoraphobia . I am scared to get on buses and flights since I get panic attacks. But this week I have to take a flight for Mumbai and it`s a 6hr flight. Please can u suggest any medecine that I can take so that I don`t experince those attacks on the flights? I am not following any treatment because my parents do not agree that I suffer from a problem. They say it`s all in my mind . But am really nervous to get on this flight. Please help me. On doctor said to use clonazepam 0.5mg thrice daily and propranolol twice daily. Will this be fine? Can i get these medecines in the pharmacy without the doctor`s prescription? And will it have any side effects? Please help me. I am really worried to get on this flight. Thanks a lot.
Asked On : Sun, 12 Feb 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  113
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Psychiatrist 's  Response
1. Clonazepam and propranolol will be helpful. You may experience drowsiness. If you are asthmatic, don't take propranolol. But otherwise, these are safe medicines.
However, usually these medicines are not available without prescription. Ask your family doctor for a prescription. Another medicine that will give quick relief is Alprazolam (Restyl, Xanax, Alprax) 0.5 mg just before the flight. Be careful. Do not take Alprazolam for longer period without doctor's guidance. It is very habit forming. You will probably need a prescription for it.
2. You should explain to your parents that your have a medical condition. It is not all just in mind. It will help a lot if you request your doctor to talk to them.
3. If you take proper treatment for OCD and Agoraphobia, you will be able to live a productive and happier life. Therefore, you should see a psychiatrist. He/she will evaluate you, counsel you about your condition (also counsel your parents) and initiate proper treatment regime. Usually a combination of medicines and psychotherapy such as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy gives best long term results.
I hope this answers your question.
Answered: Mon, 8 Sep 2014
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor