What medication can be taken for migraine apart from Nortriptyline which has no side-effects?

I was prescribed nortriptyline, for possible migraine headaches. I don t really think that it s migraine, so i m afraid to take this drug because of side effects. I m 62 years old, and have never had migraines before. I ve had ct scans and blood test done and have taken ibuprofen, excedrin migraine , any ideas I m at my wits end, any suggetions?
Fri, 11 Jan 2019
Geriatrics Specialist 's  Response
Hello! Welcome to HealthcareMagic!

If there are no abnormalities detected in CT scan and blood tests are within normal limits, it is likely that you may be suffering from migraine. Depression is a major predisposing factor for migraine in old age. Nortriptyline is an antidepressant. If your doctor has prescribed it for you, you should follow your doctor's advice.

Hope this clarifies your concerns. Thank you for contacting us.

Dr. M Thakur, Geriatrics Specialist