Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
158 Doctors are Online

What meals can be given to children for increased, healthy growth rate?

Hello Sir, My daughter is 5 years old and her weight is 11 kg only and height 99 cm she is very active everything is ok but i am worried about her weight and height. she does like to have milk and curd. since last six months i sit with her in the evening and give her milk with pediasure. what else i can do for her, as she is so weak in her physical structure also.
Asked On : Thu, 7 Mar 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  36
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pediatrician 's  Response

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

A 5 year old weighing 11kg is underweight for her age.

First we should find out if it is only diet related or some other problem is there.
Does your kid have any other problem?
Is she having any recurrent episodes of fever?
Are there any other associated complaints?
Does your baby look pale?
One need not give costly powders etc for the growth of the baby.
A balanced diet rich in proteins and vitamins is good enough. Egg is a complete food. Milk contains most of the requirements.
A handful of groundnuts contain the proteins that are present in your so called and very much advertised costly powders.
You may contact me with further details on the following URL...........

In such scenario the questions are directly forwarded to me .............. and I can answer your queries regarding your kid online regularly.

Hope this helps.
Take care

Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
Associate Professor of Pediatrics

Answered: Thu, 7 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Pediatrician Dr. E Venkata Ramana's  Response
Feb 2013
Thank you for your query,
Your daughter weight is below 3 rd percentile and height also below 3rd percentile, so it is suggestive of malnutrition.
But the cause for lower weight and stunting should be evaluated for any medical problems and hormonal problems.
Is your child born with very low birth weight or prematurity?
With milk and added powders weight wont increase, infact it will decrease as they give false belief by advertisements.
Try to give more calorie dense solid foods like roti or rice with dal and added edible oil or ghee.
Give boiled eggs.
Groundnuts contain more protein and high calories and it can be given daily in suitable form.
Consult your Pediatrician for evaluation of her and for a diet plan for after consulting a Dietician.
Hope I have answered your query.
Answered: Thu, 7 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Pediatrician Dr. Himanshi Kashyap's  Response
I would agree with you that your daughter's weight and height both are quite less compared to her peers.Many a times this could happen because of familial reason I.e genetic because of parents being of small stature.If not then sometimes there is failure to thrive I.e child not growing inspite of eating well here we need to rule out diseases like celiac,cystic fibrosis,heart disease etc.Lastly it could be syndrome related like turner.Drinking only milk does not make the child healthy ,but in addition needs rich and well balanced diet .Atpresent my suggestion is discuss with her pediatrician and if required investigate.If her Docter suggsets there is nothing wrong then be assured she will grow up as she gets bigger.
Take Care.
Answered: Thu, 7 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor