• question-icon

What leads to an offensive odor post an ileostomy?

First off I have had an ileostomy so I have a stoma through ulcerative colitis, i had my rectum removed last jan. since then i have had a rectovaginal fistula which has been leaking odourless discharge every day. after many minor failed surgeries to clean the fistula out i had surgery last monday to stitch one end of the fistula in the hope it would close up on its own as it only seems to be very small. my problem is now after 10 days the smell is atrocious, its slightly uncomfortable but no major pain but i cant hack the smell. ive heard that fistulas do tend to smell but mine never has done. i was wondering if this is normal and if u think it is likely to heal up this time round.im only 34 and live with a partner and 2 children but i cant bear the thought of living with this smell for long.please advise if u can.thank you
Tue, 30 Jan 2018
Oncologist 's  Response
Hi

After hearing your history i would advise you to do a culture sensitivity test of the smelly fistula.

If any infection is found then it has to be treated with sensitive antibiotics.

I will also advise you to apply soframycin ointment twice daily over the area for 7 days.

DR DE