What keeps a heart beating ?

Why doesn't a heart ever stop beating? What keeps it going?
Wed, 16 Dec 2009
The sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system control the heart rate and BP.

Hi i am 30 year old male who was hospitalized 3 months ago for atrial fib. Had the whole gambit of tests and all seemed ok. I was put on beta blockers then a heart monitor a month later for massive palpations and rapid beat. i was put on another med after to regulate heart rate. Now i still experience palpataions and i can feel when they are about to happen. also extreme fatigue and some weakness. What is the issue here? i do smoke but not massive smoker. I did gain 20 pounds since the hospital stay which i have never been able to do. Wonder what id happenin here.

I had a weird experience, i was sitting on my couch and out of no where i felt my heart move in my chest and i could see it beating but it only lasted about 30 secs, does this sound like a flutter? I am 24 yrs old and i have had heart palpatations before due to a low pottasium level caused by a water pill but i am now off potassium pills and my levels are normal now and i havent had another palpatation since but this weird feeling tonight had me concerned. I also suffer from extreme anxiety so maybe im just worrying over nothing

My heart will beat 4 or 6 beats and then skip a beat. Then sometimes it goes 14 or twenty times and skips a beat?? So what is going on??? I don t feel ill or like I am getting aheart attack or do I have any symphtoms of any kind. Life seems to be normal. YYYY@YYYY

Recent questions on Cardiac arrest

Hi, My Father aged 68 yrs had mild Cardiac arrest 2 months back and he had been on medication from then ... currently he is not having any food and says that he feels unhungry ... doctor had adviced him to take azee syrup.. can you share the importance of the same ..

May I ask you What "Anoxia. cardiac arrest from circulatory failure due to severe acute internal haemorrhage;
Multiple rib fractures and pulmonary lacerations; trauma to the brain and brain stem;
ischemic heart disease. means to you . I am confused....

my father died of a cardiac arrest. However, he had an abdominal aortic dissection that was detected on the last day. his intestines, gall bladder and part of the liver were removed. BP and pulse were high during the operation. later stabilised. then at 1.20 am, he had a cardiac arrest and passed away. He had no history of blood pressure, or heart disease.He first reported stomach, back n chest pain on 7th december, 2010. Also fainted and vomitted. However, doctors suspected food poisoning, colitus and later gall bladder inflammation. the actual problem was discover on 23rd Decemeber, he died later the same night.(24th december) I need to know how and why this happened

my 8-years old son has died a month ago from cardiac arrest, due to pulmonary hypertension. It started with him making a horrible growling noise for about 5 minutes or so. I can t get that noise out of my head and am worried continuously that he experienced terrible pain. How likely is it that he was in a lot pain before dying?

I have been told I have sinus bradycardia and am having symptoms of light headedness, fatigue , confusion, heart palpitations, pulse between 40 and 50 for 5 days. Should I go see my doctor or jusr see if it passes. Why would it get worse as I have...

Hi I'm worried that early repolarization can cause sudden death I've read so much about this online, I had it on my ECG I don't understand why doctors are not concerned

I am on metronidazole for giardia and med info said not to use propylene glycol, as if I knew what that was, and I started getting fluttery sensation in throat and down to chest like I had asthma . I brainstormed what it could be and looked into...