Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

What is this small movable lump in the middle and side of the jaw line ?

I am 40 year old female and I have a small movable lump in the middle and on the side of my jaw line it dosen t hurt could it be from tooth decay? I noticed it about 2 weeks ago!
Asked On : Thu, 10 Feb 2011
Answers:  5 Views:  473
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response

Hello there ,

Thanks for writing your query,

Lumps seen in the oral cavity can be of various types .

They can be infective lesions related to tooth like periodontal abscess or gingival abscess draining in the oral cavity.

lumps are also formed due to bening or malignant swellings of the jaws .

cysts of the jaws , related to tooth or bone may also lead to swelling .

parotitis or parorid gland swelling may also form lump behind the upper jaw line.

exact diagnosis can be made only after clinical examination and evaluation by taking radiographs.

i would suggest you to get and OPG radiograph done which will help in diagnosis and accordingly treatment can be planned .

consult an oral surgeon and get the examination done.

i hope this helps ,

take care.
Answered: Tue, 30 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Hello and Welcome to HCM,
Thanks for writing to us.
It's a gland you can feel, there's loads of them around your jaw area and they can swell up for different reasons. They usually go away on their own.
It's nothing to worry about but if in doubt go to your doctor.
visit your dentist and get it evaluated.
Hope this helps you.
Wishing you good health...
Answered: Mon, 29 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

Small movable lump in the jaw line can be result of infection drained from an infected tooth.
I would suggest you to visit the Dentist and get the clinical evaluation done, take necessary x-rays .
Drainage of abscess by the Dentist is required.
Start with the course of antibiotics and analgesics.

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Sun, 28 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Dr. Manish Gupta's  Response
It can be a pathology or can be a periapical abscess resulting from a decayed tooth. Please go for an X ray of the tooth in relation to the lump.
Take care!
Answered: Sat, 7 May 2011
I find this answer helpful
Dentist, Endodontics Dr. Manisha Rao's  Response
Hi, the lump could be a periapical abscess resulting from a decayed tooth. Please go for an X ray of the tooth in relation to the lump. It could also be a soft tissue growth. Please go for a complete oral examination and treatment. Take care!
Answered: Thu, 10 Feb 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]

Related questions you may be interested in


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor