Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

What is this growth at the lower back ?

my mother is 82 years old suffering from stroke in bed for the last six months. What worries me she has the sever pains in the whole body. I noticed that she has a growth at her lower back and took her back to hospital for further tests. The doctors has done xrays . They say the xray does not give them the proper thing. They are not sure whether the growth is cancer or infection. they ve booked for the scan. We visit her often and we just noticed that when she talk to us she is confused we cant communicate with her Please doctor can u explain what causes that. Thanx
Asked On : Sat, 9 Jul 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  135
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Welcome to Healthcare Magic
When a person is lying in bed in one position for a long time she will bound to get pressure ulcers on her bony regions of skin pressure. Make sure to turn her to different positions every half to one hour to prevent deep unhealing ulcers from forming. Also see that she is not wearing wet clothes or lying on wet bed sheets. You can get her a water bed which is quite good to prevent pressure sores. The severe body pains could be there if a certain part of brain called Thalamus is damaged. If she is diabetic her blood sugar must be controlled well. Since she is in her 80s she is probably having dementia which is why she is confused, but could also point to severe infection which can make a person confused suddenly like sepsis or meningitis. Better to get her admitted and do a full work up without taking chances. She needs a Nurse to help her in the house for her comfort.
Answered: Sat, 9 Jul 2011
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician Dr. Aseem's  Response
Welcome to HCM
read your prob, growth on back with body ach is suggestive of cancirous growth. so you should get MRI contrast. n blood test for tumor marker. then you reach to diagnosis ndiscuss it with your doc n start proper treatment.
Dr aseem 9982583020
Answered: Sat, 9 Jul 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor