What is the treatment for urinary tract infection in a child?

Evening, My 4 year old (girl) has another uti & has started antibiotics today. Its her second in 10 weeks & has had 3 ear infections in between making this her 5th course of antibiotics in 10weeks. She has also been on 20ml of Lactulose a day since her first uti as she has difficulty passing stools & when she does eventually go it blocks the toilet. She gone from being healthy, happy & active loving outdoors to tired, ratty & staying in most the time. She regularly oversleeps & last week didnt wake up till 11am, she went to pre-school 12 - 3 and in that time fell asleep in the play ground, it was freezing cold & very windy. She s always on about her tummy & her bottom hurting. Shes very tall for her age but is struggling to maintain her weight. Tonight she is breaking her heart because her bottom is itchy. Its still another month before she sees the pediatrician and still waiting for her kidney ultrasound. What can I do to help her ? Thank you
Tue, 13 Dec 2016
Hi and welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thank you for your query. I am Dr. Rommstein, I understand your concerns and I will try to help you as much as I can.
In children with UTi there is always required extensive work up to rule out some urinary anomalies such as vesicoureteral reflux which is most common. he should have antibiotics of course but also drink raspberry tea and plenty of water. In some cases it may be surgicall repaired if anomaly is found. Also, urinoculture should be done to see if some resistant bacteria is causing it.
I hope I have answered you query. If you have any further questions you can contact us in every time.
Kindly regards. Wish you a good health.DR. Ivan Rommstein