What is the treatment for tinea versicolor?

I have had tinea versicolor my whole life, I'm 35. Due to a hot summer I had another bout of it on my back . I went to the dermatologist and was once again given a prescription of generic nizoril for two weeks. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have done the job, what should I do?
Tue, 22 Apr 2014

Tinea versicolor is a superficial fungal infection which can affect anybody. It manifests basically in summer or humid season and therefore the best measure of prevention is by avoidance of hot an humid weather.

In my patients I prefer to use latest of anti-fungal lotions such a sertaconazole applied at night time for around 2-3 weeks of period.

If required I prefer to give an anti-fungal tablet such as fluconazole or ketoconazole by mouth in required dose.

Over all you should maintain hygiene at your best to prevent the recurrence.

All the best.

Recent questions on Tinea

Hello, Tinea versicolor is a superficial fungal infection which can affect anybody. It manifests basically in summer or humid season and therefore the best measure of prevention is by avoidance of hot an humid weather. In my patients I prefer to use latest of anti-fungal lotions such a sertaconazole applied at night time for around 2-3 weeks of period. If required I prefer to give an anti-fungal tablet such as fluconazole or ketoconazole by mouth in required dose. Over all you should maintain hygiene at your best to prevent the recurrence. All the best.