Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
184 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

What is the treatment for swollen area on my mons pubis?

My four year old daughter presented with a slightly swollen area on the left side of her mons pubis. It does not appear red, or have any other indication of an infection. She is currently prescribed an antibiotic for inner ear, and has a history of eczema. Could she have bumped or strained a muscle while playing? I hypothesize that it could be a Hernia or nothing at all.
Thu, 10 Oct 2019
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Medical Topics
General Surgeon 's  Response

There could be some possibilities for the condition you describe. The first possibility is obviously a vaginal cyst. Now, they are of many kinds and types, so it is natural for you to be confused.

If the cyst contains fluid or air, it appears soft, otherwise, certain other debris and collected material give a hard texture to it.

There are various causes of cysts, such as inclusion ( congenital ) cysts, trauma, infection, etc. The commonest is Bartholin's cyst in sexually active women.

Your lump sounds very much like a non-infected Bartholin's cyst. As it is not painful, it is mostly not infected, but can be at any time.

The Bartholin's gland makes the fluid that lubricates the vagina. If the gland gets blocked, the fluid can get trapped inside and form a cyst.

This is usually not painful. If the cyst gets infected, it is called an abscess and it can be very painful.

Usually, a Bartholin's gland cyst creates a smooth bulge or swelling. The lump is sometimes as large as an inch across or larger.

This bulge can appear on one side of the entrance to the vagina, where the soft moist pink tissue begins, or it can cause swelling of the skin-covered portion of the labia (the vulva) on one side. This bulge may be painless, or it may be tender.

The only way to know what kind of cyst it is, and whether it is a cyst or not, is to have a proper pelvic examination by a gynecologist.

You can try and upload a picture if you want me to opine by having a look, however, nothing can replace a proper digital examination.

It could be a harmless vaginal tag or extra fold, but that would generally not feel lumpy. Please consult a Gynecologist at the earliest to have a specific diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Take care

Dr Iven Romic Rommstein, General Surgeon
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I have a circular raised lump on my mons pubis, where it rubs against my thigh. I had one about a month ago, though it was a cyst, popped it, and...

Recent questions on  Eczema

doctor1 MD

Hi doc I have itchy scaly skin all over my feet ,legs , butt and lower back. I have tried every home remedies you can think of and is not going...

doctor1 MD

HI I have a query regarding my 4 year old daughter. She was a bottle-fed baby,suffered eczema when she was an year old. Recently she suffered...

doctor1 MD

I have an 18 month old that has a swollen, red forehead that comes and goes. She has very sensitive skin with excema. She seemed to begin having...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I was researching for my sister-in-law. She has suffered with eczema for years...not sure about other skin issues. She woke up today and...

doctor1 MD

My Mother is 67 years old. For past few months, she has been suffering from black patches and itching in her lower right leg. She consulted an...

doctor1 MD

I have excessisve cracking on my heals and is painful to walk most days. 4 months ago, my foot doctor recommended a regimen of the following but...

doctor1 MD

My 5 year old daughter has had this rash on her bottom (cheeks and back of upper leg) since last Wednesday. No where else on body. Called doc and...