What is the treatment for stiffness in back?

I am a 56 year old UPS driver out of work. I cannot rotate my head all the way to the left without pain. I have been out 2 months. This is not a comp claim. I have degenerative disk disease. I have 2 places in my neck that are giving me problems. One is quite high up on my neck the other down low. Both are also riddled with arthritis as well. In addition I have stiffness in my back. The physical therapists says I have a back as stiff as a 70 year old. After 10 weeks of PT I am returning to see the specialist. The pain remains unresolved. The Doctor will almost certainly recommend Cortisone shots. He has already stated that it will need to be administered in at least 2 places. I have had a shot in my knee in 2011 and a shot in my wrist early last year. I have arthritis in virtually all of my major joints including my hands wrists etc.

My concern is the potential dangers and side effects of the cortisone. From what I have read it can disrupt your immune system, week bone structure, cause skin problems etc. I had no real long term side effects the previous 2 does. But in point of fact I have a mechanical problem with my neck and cortisone will not fix it. I am otherwise in very good physical condition with the exception of acid reflex disease. I am not currently taking medication, though I do occasionally go back on.

I have several concerns

1) short mid and long term side effects to multiple cortisone injections
2)by masking the pain, I am eliminating one of my bodies best warning systems to further damage to my neck and spine.
3)Short term by masking the pain am I putting myself at risk to do more damage given the physical nature of my job.

I am not on workers comp, short term disability or receiving any monetary assistance. I am on my own dime here
and the clock is ticking. I must either go back to work or leave UPS. I do not start collecting my pension until I am 64. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thank you
Mon, 25 Apr 2016