What is the treatment for runny nose?

My daughter will be 7 months old on the 10th, she's had a runny nose and a small cough for about a month. She gets cold swears a lot but is never running a fever. Her doctor gave her medicine for a runny nose and congestion but no antibiotics. Is there something I can give her to get rid if it all.
Thu, 5 Mar 2015
Pediatrician, Pulmonology 's  Response
Hi...Cough and cold are viral 95% of the times in children. NO NEED FOR ANTIBIOTICS. For cold you can use anti-allergics like cetirizine and for nose block, saline nasal decongestants will do. Paracetamol can be given in the dose of 15mg/kg/dose every 4-6th hourly, that too only if fever is more than 100F. I suggest not using combination medicines for fever, especially with Paracetamol.
For cold you can use Cetrizine at 0.25mg/kg/dose every 12 hourly for 3 days.
For nasal block, plain saline nasal drops will do, every 4-6th hourly to relive nasal congestion.
rEGARDS - dR. sUMANTH