Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

What is the treatment for muscular dystrophy ?

what is the treatment for muscular distrophy
Asked On : Sun, 3 Jul 2011
Answers:  1 Views:  260
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello, welcome to healthcaremagic. There is no cure for any form of muscular dystrophy but medications and therapy can slow the course of the disease. Symptoms of muscular dystrophy often can be relieved through exercise, physical therapy, rehabilitative devices, respiratory care, and surgery. Exercise and physical therapy can minimize abnormal or painful positioning of the joints and may prevent or delay curvature of the spine. Respiratory care, deep breathing, and coughing exercises are often recommended. Surgery can sometimes relieve muscle shortening. In Duchenne muscular dystrophy, corticosteriods may slow muscle destruction. In myotonic muscular dystrophy, phenytoin, procainamide, or quinine can treat delayed muscle relaxation. Medications also can be prescribed for some muscular dystrophy-related heart problems. Wish you good health.
Answered: Sun, 3 Jul 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor