What is the treatment for left ear pain?

I sneezed about 3 months ago and it hurt my left ear so bad that i teered up. the pain went away after 2 days then around a month later it happened again. Now 3 weeks ago I sneezed and hurt my ear horrible pain again but this time it still hasnt gone away. Now everytime i sneeze its excruiating pain! It feels muffled hurts inside my ear and my jaw. Also i used a q-tip and it had very small traces of blood on it. I went to doc and she said fluid behind the ear canal but would that cause blood? She said there was no infection. Im taking allergy meds and ear drops but not helping. Help it hurts so bad
Thu, 1 Jul 2021

You have excruciating pain in your left ear after you sneeze, you used a q-tip and saw small traces of blood on it. You are suggested to clean your ears with q-tip only on the outside, avoid the use of it on the inside of your ears. Small traces of blood seen on q-tip are due to unintentional damage to the ear canal.

Pain on sneezing commonly occurs due to eustachian tube defect. When the eustachian tube gets plugged, the sounds that you hear may be muffled and your ear may feel full. You may also have severe ear pain. ar gets plugged commonly due to allergy, sinus infection, cold, flu, etc., to get relieve you can do simple exercises that will help to open up the plugged tubes. Chewing gum and yawning or even swallowing some water help to open up the tubes.

You can take the help of a physio therapist and learn how to take a deep breath, pinch your nostrils closed, and then blow out with your mouth shut. It will give relieve if you do it correctly. You can take Acetaminophen or Combiflam, one stat when pain to ease discomfort. Get clinically examined by an ENT, get your ear examined. If there is infection (AOM), you will need a course of oral antibiotics and analgesics. If some other pathology is detected you will be treated accordingly.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Nupur K., General & Family Physician