Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

What is the treatment for daibetic patients who are unable to walk properly ?

Dr Namaskar. I want to know what is the line of treatment for Diabetic patients who are unable to walk properly due to effect of diabetes on lower limbs/feet/ decreased blood supply. My mother aged 65 is known patient of uncontrolled DM since 10 years with neuropathy . Now, there is limited mobility as she feels difficult to walk after a few metersonly. Please advise accordingly. AAAA,son of the patient, 0000.
Asked On : Mon, 26 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  37
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Diabetologist 's  Response
Aug 2012
Hi there.

For your mother ergometric or upper body exercises are best. Please see a PMR doctor who is into diabetes foot related speciality. NOT A PODIATRIST PLEASE. If you do not have any physical medicine rehabilitation specialist, then make sure she moves her upper and lower arms while sitting on a chair, while lying on a back. A lot of muscular exercise is possible eventhough a person does not walk. This can not only help her for diabetes but for cardiovascular risk reduction also.
Get back to me for any further related query/ guidance.
Answered: Mon, 26 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor