Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

What is the solution for osteoporosis ?

Hi Doctor,
I lives in New Delhi. My mother facing a problem of osteoporosis please suggest me what i should do?
Asked On : Sat, 4 Jun 2011
Answers:  4 Views:  262
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Rheumatologist 's  Response
Hi !
Thank you for your query.
Dear Mehar,

Well Mehar you need to get A DEXA Scan of your mother to assess the bone mineral density. it is a disease which makes the bones porous thus increasing the risk of fracture specially affecting post menopausal females . You didnt mention the age of your mother which could have been helpful in deciding treatment strategy for her. osteoporosis can be treated by a large number of drugs . Bisphosphonates in form of Inj. Zoledronic acid taken once yearly or in tablet form like fosavance to be taken daily are popular optins. hormone replacement therapy can be given a trial. You should visit a rheumatologist to decide the best drug according to your need. Rest other supportive medications like calcium tablets and vit D sachets can also be taken after getting their resoective levels tested.

If you have any further queries feel free to ask.
Wish you good health.
Take care.
Dr. Shruti
Answered: Thu, 2 May 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Chirag Soni's  Response
Welcome to HCM.

You can take high calcium diet and mild exercise .tretment to prevent osteoporosis is available now a day which will improve your should consult Orthopaedician for proper line of management.
Answered: Sat, 4 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful
Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist Suhani Sethi's  Response
welcome to hcm
she should be prescribed calcium tablets along with vit D
include milk in her diet
expose her to early morning sunlight
mild exercise will also be beneficial
since osteoporosis leads to brittle bones and chances of fracture are high, take proper precautions to avoid this happening
i mean walking with proper aids is imp to avoid a fall
Answered: Sat, 4 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Aashish Raghu's  Response
You may get her started on eating calcium rich diet like milk, cheese. She can eat fresh fruits and vegetables. She must exercise enough to prevent furthur calcium loss from her bones Calcium with Vitamin D3 tablets like SHELCAL will help keep her Calcium levels near normal. Strontium ranelate is a drug not yet approved by FDA for treatment of Osteoporosis but you may discuss the treatment options with the Orthopaedician.
Answered: Sat, 4 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor