Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online

What is the remedy for recurring stomach ulcers ?

Hi, I am 25 year lady and had stomach ulcer (few erosion found in endoscopy ) and was consulting an Gastroentologist. The erosion was cleared. I felt better for few days. So, I stopped taking medicine. Then stomach problem continued again. I feel pain of burning in my stomach and sour hiccup (sour water comes to mouth ). If I eat anything non-plain food like oily, spicy, sour food, I immediately, feel this problem. For temporary solution, I take sompraz tablet. Can I be able to get rid of this problem. Will you kindly, advice me, such that I can live in better way? Regards XXXXX
Asked On : Mon, 5 Mar 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  252
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Gastroenterologist 's  Response
your symptoms suggests of GERD ,its due to entry of stomach acid into esophagus.please ask youe doctor you have any condition like hiatus need to take medicine for some weeks .if you are not better with medicines ,you need to under go 24 hr PH metry and surgery as last option.
Answered: Wed, 7 Mar 2012
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
Hello XXXXX,

Thanks for posting your query.

The treatment for gastric erosions/ ulcers etc. is long term. Also the diet modifications that were suggested to you must be followed lifelong.

The rush of saliva that you are experiencing is called water brash, that is, there is increased salivation to dilute the acid present in the esophagus.

This can occur in gastric ulcer or in gastro-esophageal reflux disease.

You can try the following suggestions to decrease your symptoms.

1. Raise head end of bed slightly.

2. Eat small and earlier evening meals. Eat at least 2 to 3 hours before bedtime.

3. Avoid chocolate, caffeinated drinks, oily and spicy foods.

4. Avoid citrus fruit juices and carbonated drinks.

4. Take one teaspoon Gelusil or Digene Gel 1 hour after a meal.

5. Maintain ideal body weight. If overweight, then exercise and cut down on calories.

Remember recurrent episodes of gastritis and pain need to be evaluated again by your gastro -enterologist. He would probably advice a repeat endoscopy. Proton pump inhibitors like Sompraz tablets need to be taken as a 6-week course based on doctor's prescription. They are not effective when taken in single dose.

Ask your doctor about treatment for H.pylori, a bacterium that causes gastritis.

Following diet modification and taking the complete course of treatment will definitely improve the quality of life.

Wishing you good health,


Answered: Mon, 5 Mar 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor