Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

What is the remedy for recurring neuralgic pain in the arm and chest of a diabetic with seizures ?

my patient has pain in left arm and chest. It is neuralgic type as many ecg are within normal limits and she is a diabetic. I have started her on pregabalin 150 mg / day. and she is on carbamazepine for seizures 600 mg per day. Her pain continue to occur once a week. What can i do for her? Thanking you in anticipation for your reply, Dr. Ashish Subhash Kakaria. (MD Medicine, India)
Asked On : Mon, 9 Apr 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  39
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response

I suggest to add anti anxiety drug as well and monitor the response after 15 days.

Pregabalin and Carbamazepine both act in similar way you can replace it with anti anxiety. If the nature of the pain changes then it is better to refer to a Psychiatrist as well for counselling purposes. If the nature is the same, a trial and error pain medication should be applied.

Answered: Mon, 9 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Finu Mathew's  Response
A Neurology referral would be in order i think as its important to rule out all Organic causes for such Limb pain. An imaging of the Cervical spine may be appropriate.

Tweaking of Drugs for Neuropathic pain should bring the pain under control. Amitryptylline might be a good choice i think.
Answered: Tue, 10 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor