Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
163 Doctors are Online

What is the medicine for absence seizure ? Is it to be taken lifelong ?

my daughter aged 6 yrs is diagonised with absence seizures .she takes the drug valporin .how long has she to take this medicine?if she gets fever ,cold can i give fever medicines along with seizures medicine.will she have side effects?she is 18kgs
Asked On : Fri, 17 Jun 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  172
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
  User's Response
Hi Jean
Welcome to HealthcareMagic.
She will have to take the drug till she is prescribed to.Generally , anti epileptic drugs are prescribed for longer period like years.If she has any cold or fever , it is always better to consult a Doctor before giving her any medicine.The choice of drugs need to be specific when to be given along with Valproate.
Feel free to mail me or post a comment here for more information.
Take care.
Answered: Fri, 17 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful
Neurologist Dr. Shiva Kumar R's  Response
Thanks for using HealthcareMagic. Valparin is a good drug for absence seizures. But one should be careful in females and monitor for side effects like weight gain, fertility problems and poly cystic ovaries. some absence seizures get cured and some may progress to different kind of epilepsy. Usually they are prescribed for 3-5 years and we stop and see if it has remitted under supervision. If not she has to continue for long time or even life long sometimes. For more information contact specialist in epilepsy. Bye
Answered: Sat, 18 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor