What is the maximum dose of Metformin and Glicalzide?

Dear Doctor, Pls advise as to what is the maximum permissible dose of Metformin and Glicalzide a person is allowed to take. My fasting glucose level is 160 mg/ddl, my PPBS is 284mg/ddl. As of now i a taking 1000mg metformin & 80mg of Glicalzide in the morning after breakfast and at night after dinner. Pls advise if i can increase my doseage.
Thu, 29 Jul 2021

Maximum recommended dose of metformin is 2000 mg/day. However, some doctors advise to try up to maximum of 2550 mg daily. However, if the daily dosage of metformin is above 850 mg, it is always better to give it in divided doses. Similarly, the maximum recommended dosage of Gliclazide is 320 mg/day.

If more than 160 mg of Gliclazide is to be taken daily, then it should be given in divided doses. In your case, the maximum dosage of metformin is already there, therefore,in my opinion, you may try to increase your dosage of Gliclazide to a maximum of 320 mg/day. If still, the desired levels of blood sugar are not achieved, then either you should try to change your drug or add a third drug also to your prescription.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Satnarain Bansal, General & Family Physician