Owl Image

What is the main cause of heart disease ?

What is the number one cause of heart disease ?
Wed, 16 Dec 2009
Diet/Lifestyle & Genetics

I d like to know the causes, the symptoms and how long you can live without surgery with this disease.

I have a leg ache on my right side that goes up and down from the hip. I had MRI and it was determined that I may have a slight blockage that causes the pain. Could it be Factor 5 lite as this is in our family...(my brother, niece and maybe more). Please give some opinions. Changed my mind....I do not need the answer as it is going to cost me ...and I do not have money. Thanks anyway.

hello, my name is Trent and i am a 34-year-old, slightly overweight (around 50lbs over BMI scale for my height) male police officer. for the last 2 years, ive been dealing with ventricular bigeminy/trigeminy as well as extremely frequent PVC s, tachycardia and the occassionally supraventricular tachycardia. at times the chest pains have been so bad i have passed out and hit the floor. i have not been able to work since january 2010. i have been hospitalized for these symptoms 6 times in the last year and half. i have been through 2 cardiac ablations and have been tried on metoprolol, soltalol, amiodarone, dronedarone, and 3 other antiarrythmics that i cannot remember the names of. neither ablation worked, and the second one caused more damage then good. prior to the second ablation (march 2011), my ejection fraction was 45% and there was mild diffuse hypokinesia in the left ventricle. after the second, ejection fraction dropped to 38% and there was moderate global hypokinesia of the left ventricular segments. structural disease was ruled out in 2010 by angiography and echocardiograms as well as a cardiac MRI. so far, none of the 5 cardiologists i have seen have been able to isolate the cause of all of my symptoms. my biological father had a pacemaker implanted at age 35 after he suffered an MI. i believe he was diagnosed with sick sinus syndrome. i have inquired into the possibilty of having SSS myself, but again, no one has confirmed or disproved this. since the failure of the ablations as well as the failure of antiarrythmics, the cardiologists that i have seen have told me there are no further treatment optins other then a 3rd ablation. having been through 2 already, i am definetly not eager to go for a 3rd. am i candidate for a pacemaker or ICD type device? and what is causing all of this? i shoud mention that cardiomyopathy was originally suspected, but again, not ruled out or confirmed. i was drinking alcohol on a regular basis up until november, and have not touched a drop since. any advice you could give me would greatly appreciated! i am extremely eager to have my condition treated and get back to work!! thank you for your time, trent a c wright.

Recent questions on Cardiovascular disease

My husband's heart is beating loudly and seems to be beating irregularly. I took his blood pressure and it was normal. His heart rate was 102bpm. He also has an urge to cough periodically. He's had these episodes happen before and the cough has helped at times. Do we need to be concerned? His father died from heart disease and started having an irregular heart beat when he was 35.

l am a 51yrs old sudanese schoolteacher 5 ft six inches of height 55kgs weight diagnoesd in Kuwait chest hospital in 1989 as a vsd sevesre pulmonary hypertension and not indicated for surgery i got married in 1998 with three duaghters 12_10_8 .l know my case very well and l ve heart disease history a younger brother had died of heart failure and four youger brothers died in their baby hood they were likely have the same disease .my parents are close relatives and they still alive with reasnable health according to thier age.l was hospitalised in1986and 2006 for haemoptasis. I have been suffering recently from feet swelling and neck and shoulders stiffness specially when l carry any something over ten kilos of weight accompanied with a high fever and l feel the area very hot a two days ago echo showed that the case is normal a chest xray showed in the day that heart is not enlarged but not in good health other lab results 2days ago esr 8 mm/h.hb119.5percent uricacid 6.0 my question is what are the exepected symptoms and comlications in this case and how to deal with them.email: YYYY@YYYY cell 0000

Hi Hoctor, My mother went to perform angiogram 2 years before. Doctors results shows of Ischaemic heart disease, Mild hypertensive heart n normal LV function. She under meditation for cholosterol n diabates. She having problem with occacasional cough n cold for d past 70 days... so what was d reason n what we should do?

my mother is a hypertensive patient currently taking the hypertension medication. recently her bp has been fluctuating from 140/85 to 220/12 in matter of hours. what tests should she do? the family physician is asking her to do CT scan, blood work, and etc. unfortunately, with no insurance, it is hard to get these done.. which one is most vital test that should be done first?

How do I help my wife of 40 + years who has developed dementia in the last two, getting worse all the time: memory, mood etc. I try to do everything I can for her but she does not cooperate a good share of the time. She sits in a recliner all day...

i lack vitamin D & Vitamin B12 .how manage this two naturally ?

I had completed my routine blood check up 5 days back, I have attached my report. Please review my report & let me know on the actions that need to be taken, am currently consuming 125 mg of thyroxine