• question-icon

What is the impact of long term use of pancreatic enzymes?

what is the impact of long term use of pancreatic enzymes as part of a treatment in response to (at this time) idiopathic chronic pancreatitis? Will my pancreas eventually stop functioning and producing enzymes by constantly supplementing my diet with pancreatic enzymes?
Mon, 29 Jul 2019

Since you are having constant chronic pancreatitis this probably will lead to degeneration of all pancreatic cells and stop producing more enzymes. Taking enzymes supplements may be a treatment for this issue.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Olgeta Xhufka, General & Family Physician