What is the difference between aphthous ulcer and herpetic Stomatitis ?

Hi, my 22 months son is suffering from an ulcer in the inner lip and purulent conjunctivitis . He had fever and runny nose for 4 days now. On the 2nd day of fever he developed swollen half of a lip (where the ulcer later developed. How can I differentiate herpes infection from aphthous ulcer and can the later be associated with conjunctivitis?? Thanks. Amr
Wed, 13 Jul 2011
Welcome to Healthcare Magic
Herpetic ulcer will consist of a patch of skin having fluid filled reddish vesicles which later break down to form ulcers. Also it is not always associated with eye involvement. Confirmation is done only by getting a sample of the discharge tested for Herpes. Aphthous ulcers are round to oval yellowish ulcers without pre-occuring vesicles. You need to show your son to a Paediatrician immediately to prevent serious infection and sepsis.