What is the cause of tongue pain?

In the middle of the day this past Sun. for no reason I noticed the side of my tongue started hurting. It felt almost as if I had bitten it quite badly. (however I had not). My throat feels as if the pain may be moving down to that direction. There is no mark or anything on my tongue. Do you know what the problem is? It hurts to eat and talk....
Fri, 7 Mar 2014
Dentist 's  Response
Hello, Thank you for consulting with HCM.
It can be possible that in that area of tongue there must be an infected or broken tooth which is causing trauma to the tongue and now there is an ulcer in that area.
So better once you should visit your dentist to get it examined and treated and till then you can start with a topical ointment named mucopain thrice a day to get relief from pain.
Hope it will help you
Dentist Dr. Priyanka Tiwari's  Response
Hello, Welcome Thanks for consulting HCM,

I have gone through your query, as you have mentioned that you have tongue bitting now you feel like pain dont worry you can apply Ointment
Anaesthetic gel like Mucopain local application 2 times a day
Take one Capsule vitamin B complex once daily for 5days
Do warm saline gargle two - three times a day

Hope it will help you.
Wishing you good health

Dr. Priyanka tiwari