Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

What is the cause of rib pain?

I have a 11 year old son, weight 130 lbs. he said he was kneed on bus on thursday, he has been complaining of pain in lower rib cage, tender to touch, with shooting pains up and down side. I felt the area and I thought I felt like a fatty tumor , now he is saying the right side hurts in the same area any suggestions on possible causes? or what I should do?
Asked On : Thu, 12 Apr 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  402
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
OBGYN 's  Response

Thanks for writing to us.
It seems that your son has suffered a soft tissue injury of the chest wall. The soft lump is likely to be a hematoma.
He needs a chest belt for proper immobilisation. Mild pain killers and hot fomentation in the area will be of help. You can consult an orthopedician to rule out ant fractured ribs in case the pain is persistent.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.


Dr. Rakhi Tayal
Answered: Fri, 13 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor