What is the cause of numbness?

I suffer regularly from headaches and migraines, sometimes these migraines will spread to my neck and even my back. Lately though I have felt a cold/freezing/numb sensation at the back of my head, mostly when I'm laying down and stand up. I've had anemia before and I know one of my symptoms was loosing my vision momentarily when I got up from bed/laying down too quickly or in a rash manner but this isn't the case. What can cause this cold sensation, what does it mean?
Mon, 26 Dec 2016
Neurologist 's  Response
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that your symptoms (cold sensation or freezing to the back of your head) could be related to occipital nerve irritation.

I would recommend consulting with your doctor and performing some tests:

- a cervical spine X ray study to exclude possible chronic degenetion of the cervical spinal column which can trigger this symptomatology
- complete blood count for anemia
- PCR, sedimentation rate for inflammation.

Anyway, your symptoms are not indicative of any serious medical condition.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards, Dr. Aida