Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
163 Doctors are Online

What is the cause of dull pain in the lower abdomen ?

Hi, before I begin just let me tell you that I am an EXTREME hypochondriac. For the past couple of days I have been expierincing a dull pain in my right lower side. Tonight I woke up with a mild pain- anxiety I think. I have no appendicitis symptoms and all of the self test have turned out negative. I was wondering if my pain could be period cramps or a pulled muscle? Below my right hip bone and to the left there is a section that is tender to the touch. Could this be a pulled muscle, period cramps, or appendicitis? Thank you.
Asked On : Tue, 17 Apr 2012
Answers:  3 Views:  382
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General Surgeon 's  Response
hello dear
only pain in right lower abdomen of shorter duration in a person like you ( hypochondriac) has little medical significance. but if you are worried, then its better to under go abdominal ultrasound examination to rule out major diseases like appendicitis. you may need councelling from your family physician to get out of your worry. other wise you may not need any other medication. hope this answer is helpful to you.
take care
Answered: Tue, 19 Jun 2012
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
Hello Kim, Welcome to Health Care Magic,
As per you are observing that the the pain is there in right lower abdomen, there can be several reasons for the pain to be there like Abdominal wall muscle strain, Appendicitis, Crohn's disease, Ileus, Mesenteric lymphadenitis, Kidney stone, Inguinal hernia, Femoral hernia, Intestinal obstruction, Volvulus.
Additional causes of right-lower abdominal pain in females include: Ovarian cancer, Ovarian torsion ,Tubal pregnancy, Pelvic inflammatory disease, Uterine fibroids.
As u are saying that you have ruled out the possibility of appendicitis and the pain is still persisting, you must go under some scans regarding the pain like Ultra Sonography of whole abdomen, MRI Scans, Specific Blood Tests, Barium Meal Test, specific Hormone tests like LH, FSH and androgen specific tests to rule out the possibilities of PCOD and ovarian or utrine complaints....
After the scans are done you can consult your doctor or alternative therapist there in your area with test reports for further consultation. Do not overlook the symptom and get it checked as early as possible.
Take Care.
Dr. Puneet Arora
Answered: Tue, 17 Apr 2012
Pediatrician, Gastroenterology Dr. S. K. Gupta's  Response
welcome to healthcare magic - it may be period cramp if so will relieved in 3 -5 days. dont worry
Answered: Thu, 19 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor