What is the cause and treatment for white bumps and enlarge near the airway?

Back of tongue and throat I have noticed my tongue white and lots of bumps that enlarge to the point of the feeling of it blocking my airway. No other symptoms but im a little freaked out it is disrupting my breathing. Can you help me? I have no insurance and I m worried
Wed, 16 Jun 2021
Dentist 's  Response
Hi.

Bumps at the back of the tongue can be due to enlargement of papillae present at the back of tongue. The back 1/3rd of tongue contains a typical "V" shaped pattern of large papillae known as Circumvallate papillae and being already larger in size as compared to the front 2/3rd of tongue , if they get swollen then can appear very large and can appear something being struck at the back of tongue.

As you said you have white coating over the tongue it can be due to fungal infection of the tongue known as Oral Thrush and it can also cause inflammation of the tongue and the tongue papillae that contains taste buds gets swollen and inflamed. It can occur due to causes like oral and dental infection, throat infection, acid reflux, post nasal drip, allergies etc.

So first you should make sure that you have difficulty breathing or is occurring only as an outcome of stress. This is because allergy causing enlarged papillae can also cause swelling of tongue and throat that can cause breathing problems, in that case you should immediately consult an Emergency room.

But in case if you have only swollen bumps you should consult an Oral Physician and get evaluated.. In case if swelling of the tongue papillae occurs due to the white coating of thrush then in that case you can be advised anti fungal mouthwash like Nystatin or Clotrimazole mouthwash and along with it lozenges like Clotrimazole lozenges to reduce infection. Also do warm saline gargles to reduce swelling. Take more of probiotics like Yogurt and garlic. Gently scrape the coating from the tongue using a tongue scraper.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Honey Arora, Dentist